click to dismiss

Please logged in to see pending comments.


| Lost password

July 2015

End of the First Week   (published in Kenya)

July 25, 2015 by   Comments(0)

July 17, 2015 Nanyuki, Kenya

The first week is coming to a close though it hasn’t been a full week here in Nanyuki it’s been a full week of new experiences. All of the time spent flying and waiting in airports moved along quickly and thankfully I had no problems with security or finding my connecting flight. The first problem I encountered was more an entertaining experience when trying to locate my luggage and having the carousel break down and people grab carts and crowd the area. After a half hour of waiting I managed to locate one of my suitcases within a discarded pile of cases and another half hour I located the other coming down the assembly line of people that was finally started. The next part was very easy finding Peter and Edwin in the crazy crowd of signs all saying names and taxi services and heading to the car. The biggest shock here was seeing the steering wheel on the right side of the car and realizing that we would be driving on the left side of the road. I realized early on that it is better for my nerves to watch the scenery (even in the dark) versus watching traffic. Once we came to the guest house I met Carol from Scotland and Chavone from Wales. Both are doing the care project here in Nanyuki. We went to bed by 11:30 due to having to be up by 7:00 for breakfast and out the door by 8:00. Luckily for us we didn’t end up leaving till about 8:15 and were able to have a very relaxed breakfast of fried egg, pancake, fruit, fresh juice, and coffee. We then loaded up in a car and were off to the middle of Nairobi to find a Matatu or a short bus to Nanyuki. Peter was able to accomplish this very quickly, but even then we were very popular for people to come up and say hello and ask us where we were from and why we were not staying in Nairobi. The highway I guess you would call it to Nanyuki was an experience. Their roads, which are not that great to begin with, would have these sections of straightaways and then you’d come to almost a complete stop and go over three consecutive little bumps and then in about a yard one large bump. This is to control people merging and crossing in front of traffic to go the other direction. Arriving in Nayuki, the three of us met with some of the Projects abroad staff at their office located above The Family Bank in the middle of town and we went around for our “town induction” which consisted of all of the popular spots for volunteers to visit and relax and to see the mall where we could purchase SIM cards and the credit we need to use our phones. We then had lunch at the shades with Dennis. I had a club sandwich that consisted of chicken, beef, onions, peppers, egg, and some fries with some fresh mango juice. Next, we had our office induction with Cecily that mainly covered some insurance things and how to get to our placements from home. We then booked a Safari for the coming weekend and went home to meet our host families. Jacenta is my host mom here in Kenya and she is the loveliest lady to be staying with!! I was instantly at ease with her and she has made Bre’s and my stay very enjoyable. Bre is an occupational therapist from Pennsylvania. She will be here till the 23rd of this month. She will be working at the referral hospital in town while I am working at Huruma medical clinic not far from home. The time change here from home is 10 hours ahead so by 6:30 that evening I was ready for bed, but we don’t eat dinner here till about 8:00 so I had to force myself to stay awake. As soon as dinner was over I was excused for bed and slept till about 7:00 the next morning no problem. This pattern has easily continued where I am up between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning and going to bed about 9:30 or 10:00 every night. The staff at Huruma have been wonderful from the very beginning. Everyone from the sisters to the support staff to the nurses to the doctors to the counselors have been willing to show me what they do and allow me the opportunity to try new things. Every morning when I get to Huruma I do a rotation with one of the nurses to greet all of the residents and check how their night was, then collect supplies to change dressings on any bed sores and such injuries after the daily washing. Some mornings I go around with a group of nurses, a medical student, and the nutritionist who do individual checks on specific patients’ progress or morning checks for our diabetic patients. This usually lasts till 11 when we have a tea break then go back out to start IV drips for patients who are fighting dehydration. From 12 to 2 there is lunch and visiting hours from relatives. It’s amazing the number of family members that come to check in and assist with lunch time and just check on their family members. It is during this time we help manually feed the patients with feeding tubes. After this work is done activity for us starts winding down and interaction with each other and the patients with no one to visit them increases. The staff who work here are truly family to the patients here and you can see their desire to bring life and hope into their existence. Soon after this is our lunch time which we come together in the lunchroom and eat the Kenyan food that was prepared in massive bulk for everyone. I have to say I’ve enjoyed all of the traditional food I’ve tried here and haven’t had any negative effects from it. The time during our lunch is a church time for the residents to attend and then we have rounds to distribute medications and settle patients in their quarters for the evening. This is another fun time to interact with the patients and see the interactions between them and the staff. At 5, I head for home with some of the other staff and sit down with Bre and Jacenta for some tea and to talk about our days. Weekend of the 18th This weekend I travelled to the Ol Pegatta Conservancy on a safari with Carol, Chavone, and Jasmin. We met at the Projects Abroad offices in town Saturday morning, which was actually my first time back in town since Wednesday. Walking here in town is always a new adventure because you never know who you will meet and everyone loves to greet you as you walk by. It’s very common to be offered a ride on a motorbike or in a car for a small price. The safari was truly an amazing experience besides being able to see so many animals right up close and in such large numbers I found myself transfixed by just the overall beauty of Africa!! The sky was huge. The clouds looked close enough to touch and the colors of all the different landscapes was amazing! Jackson our driver for the weekend has been working there 25 years so he offered knowledge on ever animal we saw. There was also 3 separate conservancies within the bounds with their own guides who also were so full of knowledge about the animals they were responsible for. There was a chimpanzee, a rhino, and a hippo conservancy to see. My favorite was the rhino where we met Barracka the blind black rhino who we were allowed to pet and feed while we were there. The accommodations for the night was located at the Sweetwater Tent resort that was beyond cool because you could see animals outside your window while you were eating or from your tent. We were truly spoiled while we were there, but after one night I was ready to head back to what now felt like home.

July 22nd It turned out that Bre already knew how to play Dutch Blitz a card game I brought with me so we taught Jacenta how to play the other night and had great time laughing and just spending time together. Other nights are spent watching Spanish soaps that are voice over in English and just reading

(0 from 0 votes)
End of the First Week
End of the First Week

8-7-2015   (published in Kenya)

July 9, 2015 by   Comments(0)

8- 7

Stof, stof en nog eens stof, en zand... Het zit werkelijk overal. Als ik krab aan mijn huid zijn gelijk mijn vingers vies. Mijn schoenen waren zwart maar nu zie je alleen stof en zand. Hoe dit komt..

Ik ben vandaag voor het eerst op out-reach geweest. Ik heb eerst een uur gelopen van mijn gastgezin naar het kantoor. Maar de weg was dus van zand en losse stenen en de weg gaat stijl een heuvel op. Als een auto voorbij rijdt komt er een soort stof wolk omhoog zodat je niks meer kan zien. Dit verklaart de eerste laag stof en zand.

Vervolgens ging ik met de andere vrijwilligers naar een achterstandswijk. Het is daar een hele andere sfeer dan in het centrum. Overal ligt plastic en ander afval. Kinderen rennen zonder ouders en in versleten kleren. Koeien, geiten en kippen lopen door de wijk rond. Soms hele kuddes geiten met een herder. Het is een vreemd gezicht in een wijk als deze.

De bedoeling van deze outreach is om duidelijk te maken dat hier schoongemaakt moet worden. Wij hebben samen met de secundairy schoolkids de straaten schoongemaakt. Zij wonen niet in deze wijk. Er kwam van elk stukje vuil wat ik opraapte zoveeel stof en zand. Dit verklaart de 2e laag zand en stof. Het is ongelofelijk hoe de mensen met hun vuilnis omgaan. Er ligt zoveel plastic zakken, flessen, verloren nephaar van vrouwen en volle luiers…. Dus hier moet dus echt iets veranderen, want zelfs de kinderen en het vee loopt tussen het vuil.

Sommige straatkinderen kwamen ons helpen. Zij waren erg dun en vuil. Hun kleren zaten vol gaten. Het is een zielig gezicht. Zij kregen van ons koekjes en drinken. Ik heb ze zo zien genieten van het eten maar ook van de aandacht die zij kregen.

Na de out-reach zijn we naar de markt gegaan. Heel veel mensen, heel veel eten en menn.. heeeel veel kleding. Leuk om een keer gezien te hebben! Op de markt en op straat roepen de mensen ‘mazunku’. Dat betekend een blank persoon. Vooral kinderen roepen dat en wijzen dan naar je. Het voelt gek om de hele dag aangestraart te worden.

Ik heb vandaag veel gezien en geproefd van de cultuur. Ik ben benieuwd naar de rest van de weken!


(0 from 0 votes)

7-7-2015   (published in Kenya)

July 9, 2015 by   Comments(1)

7-7- 2015

Jambooo! Vandaag is mijn eerste werkdag in het ziekenhuis. Ik ging met 5 personen in een tuktuk (soort mini taxi op 3 wielen). Ik kreeg een rondleiding in het ziekenhuis. Het is moeilijk te omschrijven hoe het eruit ziet. Het ziekenhuis is als een park. Elke afdeling is een appart gebouw. Mannen en vrouwen zijn gescheiden. Er stond een enorme rij bij de kassa. Als zij naar de dokter gaan, moeten zij eerst betalen (ongeveer een euro) en dan kunnen zij naar de dokter. Tijdens de rondleiding kwam ik gevangenen tegen met politie erom heen. Zij moeten in het ziekenhuis schoonmaken.

Deze week werk ik op de vrouwen afdeling. Ik kwam hier aan en een vrouw vertelde aan de verpleegkundige wie ik was en dat ik mijn laatste jaar in ga van verpleegkunde. En voordat ik het wist, had ik medicijnen in mijn handen en een infuus. Zij wezen een patiënt aan en ik moest het maar doen. Een hele aparte ervaring. De verpleegkundige gaf mij van alles aan om te doen, (het meeste met medicatie). Ik keek mijn ogen uit! Sommige vrouwen lagen met zijn 2en in 1 bed! Sommige waren van de Masai stam en weer anderen spraken geen engels en swahili. Geen comunicatie mogelijk. Sommige vrouwen waren zo extreem uitgehongerd. Het is een wereld van verschil.

Op 1 kamer lagen vrouwen die hoog-complex zijn. Er was onder andere 1 vrouw met huidkanker. Zo erg dat haar been 2-3x zo dik was als haar gezonde been. Met soort korsten en bloed. Heel akelig om te zien! De vrouw verging van de pijn. Ook stonk het op die kamer en zoveel vliegen!

Ik had moeite met de afrikaanse cultuur tijdens werk. Ze zijn niet snel en een beetje lui. Iedereen gaat de hele dag door een gesprek met je aan. Ook in acute situaties praten zij veel en doen ze het op hun gemakje. Terwijl ik gewend ben om van 7 tot half 4 te rennen en te vliegen, dronk ik een uur lang thee in de pauze. Ik zat niet op mijn gemak en wilde graag verder gaan met werk maar niemand stond op en namen lekker de tijd voor hun thee. Ik zou hier niet snel aan kunnen wennen!

S’avonds kwamen we thuis en Berniece had lekker voor ons gekookt. Er stond ugali op het menu. Typisch afrikaans, het is bloem gemaakt van mais met water. Het lijkt een soort deeg. Je eet het samen met groente en gehakt. Ze leerde ons hoe wij dit moesten eten met de hand. Het was heerlijk!

Een dag vol nieuwe ervaringen, ontmoetingen en indrukkingen. Zo ik ben bek af!

La la salama! (slaap lekker)

(0 from 0 votes)